The meeting was held in Nairobi, 16-18 December 2002, with the participation of 30 specialists representing the various field of culture and the different regions of the continent in view of preparing the Panafrican Cultural Congress. This congress will be organized in 2003 jointly by the African Union, UNESCO and the Ford Foundation in the framework of the follow-up of the Intergovernmental Conference on Cultural Policies for Development (Stockholm, 1998) with a view to
- Review the cultural trends and the evolution of national cultural policies in the region since the last OAU conference of ministers of culture (Cotonou, 1993),
- Establish a state of the art of the situation,
- Identify the new problems and challenges,
- Set new perspectives for the future.
On the basis of the working documents established by the AU Secretariat, the meeting was invited, among others, to
- Establish a list if themes proposed for inclusion in the agenda of the Congress;
- Make suggestions for the intellectual preparation of the congress and its programme;
- Prepare a project document in view of mobilizing partnership.