Call for Papers
10th Vienna Music Business Research Days
The 10th Vienna Music Business Research Days will be held at mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, Austria, from September 11 to 13, 2019. The conference organizers invite scholars to submit a paper proposal on the theme “The Future of Music Business” and other aspects of music business research. Submission deadline is April 29, 2019.
Music Business Research is an inter-discipline at the intersection of economic, artistic, cultural, social, legal, technological and further developments which contribute to the creation/production, dissemination/ distribution and reception/consumption of music. This interdisciplinary nature calls for methodological multiplicity and is open to scholars from all scientific areas.
Indicative themes include but are not limited to:
- Past, current and future developments in the music industry (recorded / live / publishing / retailing / wholesaling, etc.)
- Economic and historic analyses of music markets, charts or audiences
- Issues in marketing and/or branding music, musicians or music institutions
- Aspects of musical and musician diversity in music business
- Critical discourses on the economic, social and cultural contributions of (live) music
- New products, formats and business models in the music sectors
- Strategies and strategizing of musicians and music institutions
- Situatedness and power in musician labor markets
- Agency and social practices in the music business
- Legal issues in the music business (contracts, copyright, policies) from an international perspective
- Fit for the market? Acquiring skills for the music business
- Doing things right! New solutions for fairness and transparency in the music business
- Entrepreneurial musician und music entrepreneurs
- An age of disruption? Technological developments in the music industry
Please send an abstract of your proposal to email@example.com no later than April 29, 2019.
All submissions must include a title, authors (names, affiliations, e-mails of all authors and a notation (*) of the corresponding author), an abstract of 1,000-1,500 words and 3-5 keywords. Abstracts must be submitted in English, as a MS Word file (*.doc or *.docx) or *.pdf file, and include:
- Objectives of the research
- Brief description of the disciplinary/theoretical context/background
- Research questions and/or hypotheses
- Main or expected conclusions / contribution
- Main references
Abstracts will be subject to a double-blind peer-review process by an international jury, and authors will be notified of acceptance by May 20, 2019.
Final papers should be sent before July 31, 2019. They should not exceed 7,000 words (including abstracts, figures, tables, references and appendices) and follow the author guidelines of the International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR). You may also want to consider publication in IJMBR after the conference.
For students at all levels of the MA & PhD a doctoral colloquium (Young Scholars’ Workshop) will be held as part of the 10th Vienna Music Business Research Days on September 11, 2019. Find a separate call for papers here.
More information on the conference can be found here: https://musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/call-for-papers-10th-vienna-music-business-research-days-september-11-13-2019/